[Advaita-l] Jnana and ajnana (Bhakti vs. Jnana)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:16:19 CDT 2011

> > RV: You, as a moderator, have the right to regulate this forum through
> advice, removal of posts or discordant members. However, it would be a good
> idea to hear point of view as well though. First of all, the topic of my

You have been on this forum long enough to know that the moderators give
the greatest possible leeway to every single member here. The onus is on
you, as an individual poster, to make yourself clear and to be as civil and
as patient in responding to others as you expect them to be when they
respond to you.

Threads of discussion have an ebb and flow; they tend to wander afield
and to morph into avenues that you may not have anticipated at first. With
multiple voices chiming in, it is the nature of a list discussion to do so. You
will notice that this thread has managed to get its title changed to "Jnana
and ajnana". You are perfectly at liberty to leave this thread be and bring
the discussion back to where you want it to go, but needless to say, there
is an art to doing it well.

It would perhaps be useful if you chose to focus on a specific and more
narrowly defined point, whether textual or doctrinal, in a given thread. A
very broadly worded and highly general topic will necessarily generate a
wide variety of viewpoints and it would behove you not to pour scorn upon
those with views differing from your own. If your intent is to focus on bhakti
in advaita, it would certainly help if you adopted a less adversarial tone
towards other members than you have done so far. Rest assured that none
of those who have engaged with you in a discussion so far think of bhakti
in an inferior manner.

My advice, to which you have responded, was more about how you choose
to express yourself, and less about the content of your posts. One sentence
simply passing along to you a lesson learned from experience - it is the
manner in which one speaks/writes that often gets in the way of others
appreciating and understanding what it is that one wishes to convey. Make
of it what you will.

Regards,
Vidyasankar