[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 13:05:29 CDT 2011

Dear Anand Hudliji,

I think both of you understood Adi Sankara well on both 9.25 and 17.4  yet you are being critical of each other. There is no doubt that the Saptamatrikas and Vinayaka are of divine origin. The Saptamatrikas helped liquidate the evil monster by drinking its blood while it was being killed so that more monsters should not be born out of the blood. It was a good deed for the world. As for Lord Vinayaka he is the controller of the evil forces and that is why one prays to him so that he would save one from the obstacles created by the evil forces. While both these deities are as benign as the other deities their manifestations are for a purpose and so is their worship for a special purpose of controlling the evil forces in one's life. As they have their specified tasks, however laudable that can be, they are not to be dragged for seeking their help for Rajashik or sattvic ends, ie. for seeking power and wealth as well for help in the path to Moksha.   Then
 there are the evil forces like the bhootas, who are worshipped by some (Tamasic people) and  that is done to take the help of the evil forces to get evil things done. These tamasic evil-doers also worship the Saptamatrikas so that the latter become kind to them and connive at their evil-doings. For a similar reason the evil forces also worship Lord Vinayaka. Adi Sankaracharya must have expected the intelligent students  to analyse his statements and in case of doubt to ask their learned gurus.  Adi Sankara certainly did not want to write the most  exhaustive treatises to explain each and everything in the greatest details in order to remove each and every doubt for all eternity.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya