[Advaita-l] Onion and garlic: more on food habits

Krishnadas krishnadas135 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 03:43:50 CST 2011

Many substances eaten today are considered foods, when in fact they
are medicines, and should be taken in small, measured quantities, for
specific purposes.  Eaten in the large quantities as they are today,
garlic and onions put the guna balance of the body out, and add a
great deal of rajas and tamas into the system.  Substances such as
garlic, onion and honey are very strong, and should not be eaten as
common foods.  One of the current Shankaracharyas doesn't eat honey,
calling it, from memory, subtle fire.  Garlic is an aphrodisiac and
thus deadly for the true Sadhaka, and onion puts a lot of rajas into
the system.  Furthermore, the common edible mushroom bought in the
marketplace is hallucinogenic, although to a lesser degree than the
"magic" ones.

But our minds are quite insensitive to the subtle properties of such
substances these days, and we eat them, on the whole, without noticing
any apparent effect.  However, when one practices meditation, and
becomes aware of the subtle movements of the mind, it is then that the
effects of these strong substances becomes noticed.

Of course, those who have  risen above the effects of the gunas need
not be concerned with such dietary restrictions!

Krishnadas

*******