[Advaita-l] Tantric Acts

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:54:06 CST 2011

Apologies, I'll not even qualify this thread with a salutation. This is one
of the most ridiculous books I've ever come across and needless to say none
of those involved in it, including the author of its "Prefatory Note": Max
Muller, seem to know what they are talking about!  I stopped skimming
through the book, when I came across the following:

1 The Sanskrit word is Varna = colour, thus showing that upon the
difference of colour between the Aryan Brahmins and the aboriginal
inhabitants the distinction of caste was originally founded. — Pope.

Moreover, there's no way that these clueless author(s) would have come
across a tantrik ritual in "all its glory" considering its utmost secrecy
and the time that the book seems to be have been cooked-up. Those pages
clearly read like some drunkard was narrating them, without a clue of what
he's talking and someone jotted them down. Some tantrik rituals do involve
all that is considered outside the social norms we know, but these are
described properly in relevant books written by at least those guided by
ones trained in tantra. If I were to read something even for my
inquisitiveness, be it the most extreme tantra following of aghora, and even
so, by a foreign author, I'd go with Robert Svoboda. Svoboda really spent
time learning things related from those trained, understood them and then
went on to write.

In short, the book linked in your mail as a whole is disgusting, let alone
its description of "rituals". You may take wildest of guesses on what the
intention of the authors was and still you have more chances of being right
about them than the authors were on the subject broached by them. :)

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */