[Advaita-l] shiva mahA purANa

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 06:44:09 CST 2011

>There is a Vayu Mahapurana as well.  But I think the main reason for the
>confusion is that the Shiva >Mahapurana contains a Vayu or Vayaviya Samhita.

All of shiva purANa is enjoyable but the vAyavIya saMhita is especially good. It
may look blasphemous to some traditionlists but I along with many would
seriously doubt if vyAsa ever authored this purANa. But one can always hide
behind tradition no matter how illogical and irrational it be.

Examining its contents will surely show that the shiva mahApurANa seems to be a
great work probably authored** by accomplished
shivAchArya-s(saiddhAntika-s), vaidika/smArta brAhmaNa-s who were great
shivopAsaka-s and also by ancient pAshupata teachers.

**The inspiration of-course for such great men certainly comes from the devata
and hence can be seen as equivalent to, devata dictating it.