[Advaita-l] Which is the correct usage? and acceptable way to write?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:41:44 CST 2011

> So, if I have to suggest a name for a baby girl, which one is the most accurate?
> Ameyaa Shruti, Ameya Shruti, Ameyaa Sruti, Ameya Sruti

ameyA, with the first "a" sound short (hrasva) and the last "a" sound long (dIrgha)
is the correct one for a girl. Spelling in the Roman script is a matter of convention
and personal taste! I prefer to omit the letter h after the "S" in Sruti, but most
people would prefer to retain it.

Even a few decades ago, when I was a child, it was totally unknown for people to
put two "a"s consecutively to denote the long vowel sound in a personal name.
These days, there is a profusion of doubled letters everywhere, so Ameyaa seems
 the most reasonable spelling. On the other hand, how many women spell their
names as Vidyaa or Divyaa or Devii or Priyaa? The length of the ending vowel is
a given, even when the name is spelt as Vidya or Divya or Devi or Priya, right?
By that logic, Ameya should be good enough. Personal taste ...

Vidyasankar