[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharishi and Sanyasa

Ramamurthy Venkateswaran r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:02:46 CST 2011

Pranams

Some time ago there was a thread regarding sanyasa and exceptions from the rule.  The recent issue of Tamil magazine Sakthi Vikatan dated 8.2.11, carries an article on Shri Ramana Maharishi by Shri Balakumaran (pp.42-45).  In p.45, it has been mentioned that when a Pandit from Sringeri enquired Ramana Maharishi as to why he should not take up sanyas as he (Ramana Maharishi) is otherwise eligible.  After this discussion, the Pandit went down the hill and would come back after lunch and at that time would await for the decision of Ramana Maharishi.  In the meanwhile, an elderly person carrying a bundle of books, left the bundle in the place where Maharishi was staying to wash up and return after taking food, etc.  Maharishi opened the bundle and at the top of the bundle was a book Arunachala Mahatmiyam (in Sanskrit). In Tamil Arunachala Puranam is available, but finding a Sanskrit book, Ramana Maharishi read the first sloka, in which the Lord himself has written about the prominence of Arunachala Kshetra.  Within three stone (20 miles) distance from Arunachala Kshetram, I (Lord) will release anyone from all bondage without sanyas.

When the Pandit from Sringeri returned, Maharishi showed the Sanskrit sloka, and the Pandit felt ashamed of his poser, mentioned about this to his Guru, Shri Nrsimha Bharathi, who had admonished the Pandit for his action.

I thought that this might help our contributors about this aspect of reaching the final destination without sanyas.

With profound regards,

Sincerely,

R. VENKATESWARAN
A-706, C-DOT Apartments
Sector 56, Gurgaon 122011
Phone: 0124-4221139; Mobile: 0 9899843321
(From October 21, 2010 - February 13, 2011)

R. Venkateswaran
B-104, Anisha Grange
Kaggadaspura, 6th E Cross
Bangalore-560093
Phone: 080-41676511; M: 0 96638 57781)
email: r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com
 (upto October 20, 2010; from February 13, 2011 onwards)