[Advaita-l] mUlAvidyA according to panchapAdika & vivaraNa

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Dec 15 05:14:25 CST 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

H.H. Sri SSS in one of his Kannada works, explains avidyA according to
paNchapAdika/ vivaraNa...According to this avidyA svarUpa is :

(a) anAdi, anirvachaneeya and it has ashraya in Atma chaitanya.

(b)  it is neither agrahaNa nor anyathAgrahaNa nor the saMskAra of these
two

(c)  it is not an antaHkaraNa dOsha

(d) it is jnAna virOdhi, bhAva rUpa avidyA

(e)  it is the upAdAna kAraNa for adhyAsa (superimposing one thing on
another).

(f)  it covers Atman in sushupti through vikshepa saMskAra, converts as
'ahaMkAra' in waking state

(g) synonyms for avidyA are  nAma rUpa, avyAkruta, mAyA, mahAsupti,
akshara, AkAsha etc.

(h)  it is neither sat nor asat hence it is anirvachaneeya

(i) since it has the ashraya of chaitanya satta, it is anAdi

I am just quoting from memory not sure of exact words of Sri SSS..He
explains these things in every detail in his kannada book panchapAdika
prasthAnaM & Sanskrit work pratyabhignA(both books published from
kAryAlaya).

Kindly let me know whether Sri SSS misunderstood the concept of avidyA  in
any of the above description from vivaraNa perspective ??   I am sure he
says avidyA the concept which has been introduced by paNchapAdika/vivaraNa
is neither agrahaNa nor anyathAgrahaNa it is something else.  Kindly
clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar