[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Kalyan K kalyankc.81 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 06:41:48 CST 2011

Namaste,

I really wanted not to post on this topic, but looking at other posts, I am
being forced to respond.

People in this forum are talking frequently of cow-sacrifice. I genuinely
tried to search where such a sacrifice is described in the vedas. I could
not find any references to any cow-sacrifice in the vedas. I have already
posted references from Rig Veda which say that cows should not be killed. I
do not want to post the details but even in the very special case where
Yagnavalkya says he eats beef, that very same verse in Sathapatha brahmana
explicitly prohibits eating of cow and ox. Yagnavalkya was an exception
rather than a rule as anyone can verify by reading verse # 21 in the
following link -

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe26/sbe2604.htm

So please answer my simple question - Where do vedas ask that cows be
sacrificed? Please provide the references from the vedas only.

Thanks
Kalyan