[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:14:24 CST 2011

Namaste Sri Kalyan

Atharvana Veda Mantra 1/16/4 has said cow killing is same as man
killing as horse killing.

Yadi No Gam Hamsi Yadyashvam Yadi Purusham |
Tam Tva Sesena Vidhyamo Yatha No So Aveeraha ||

This Mantra is warning a person if he kills a cow or horse or man they
will shoot lead bullets at him as punishment. Then he cannot kill our
sons.

Important point- Killing a cow is equal to killing a man and horse
killing  is also equal to killing a man.

Aveeraha means 'Not killer of Veeras.' Veera is a son because he is
born from Veerya that is sperm.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Kalyan K <kalyankc.81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Namaste Venkatesh-ji,
>
>>Some kinds of animals were used in sacrifices in earlier Yugas but not
>>cows.
>
> I am not aware of cow-sacrifice, but killing of cows is explicitly
> prohibited in Rig Veda 8.101.15
>
> RV 8.101.15  Translation by Wilson (in the context of saayaNa bhashya) -
>
> "(she who is) the mother of the rudras, the daughter of the vasus, the
> sister of the adityas,
> the home of ambrosia - kill not her, the sinless inviolate cow"
>
> Lest there should be any doubt, saayaNachArya mentions that the deity of
> this verse is the cow. So this is not referring to any other devata.
> Further, just for info, the rishi is Jamadagni of the family of Bhrigu.
>
> Also, here is the translation of Ralph Griffith for cross-reference -
>
> "The Rudras' Mother, Daughter of the Vasus, centre of nectar, the Ādityas’
> Sister-
> To folk who understand will 1 proclaim it-injure not Aditi, the Cow, the
> sinless"
>
> And just to add - The Rig Veda also extols the cow at many places.
>
> I have also referred to the Nighantu and Yaska's Nirukta. It clearly
> mentions that the cow is called Aghanya because it is not to be killed.
> yAska, is supposed to have preceded even pANini, and his nirukta commentary
> on the nighantu can be considered to be the best existing authority on
> matters of interpreting vedic words.
>
> Best Regards
> Kalyan

Regards