[Advaita-l] A reference to 'jIvAshritA avidyA'

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 05:51:50 CST 2011

Shri Bhaskar YP wrote:

>Kindly pardon me if I am stretching this prabhuji.  Will it be any problem
>if we say since jeeva is nothing but brahman cannot be the custodian of
>avidyA, it is only tha dharma of his upAdhi/antaHkaraNa??  I think here,
>in this context,  the questions like what is this upAdhi/antaHkaraNa & how

The jIva himself is, according to the bhAmatI, the superimposition of the
non-Self consisting of things such as the mind, body, senses, intellect,
etc. on the Self. In the final analysis, of course, the jIva is not
different from Brahman and avidyA is not really existent! What I am trying
to say is that the locus of avidyA, whether it is taken to be the jIva or
the Brahman, is only for empirical purposes , a courtesy (aupacArika).

Anand