[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Kalyan K kalyankc.81 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:23:17 CST 2011

Namaste Rajaram-ji,

>This discussion has gone off in multiple directions responding to all
>which will further defeat the purpose of my starting it to find out
>the specific ritual referred to in Br Up verses. I'm planning to ask a
>learned sastrigal or srautigal. But if anyone knows, please share the
>name of the ritual. It does not seem to be putra kameshti.

Though I am not knowledgeable in this matter, I have done a casual
search on the internet and it seems that there are many references in
the vedas (that is sruti) that prohibit the slaughter of cows.

For instance, in Rig Veda, 6.28, it is said that cows are not harmed
even by robbers and one's evil-minded foes. Cows are supposed to be
kept happy. In fact, this entire sukta is dedicated to cows and one
can go through it.

Also, it seems that Cows are called as aghnya (that which should not
be killed) at many places in the vedas (not merely at one place in the
yajur veda). Further, it seems the Nighantu gives aghnya as a synonym
for cow, which implies that cows cannot be killed.

I have more references (based on internet search) so I can provide
them if you want. However, since I am not knowledgeable in sanskrit, I
cannot vouch for their authenticity. But please do take these up with
the learned scholar that you plan to consult. IMHO, one must give due
consideration to all vedic injunctions prohibiting the harming of cows
before coming to any judgment.

 Regards

Kalyan