[Advaita-l] How does one know he is a jivan mukta?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:02:42 CDT 2011

> Disciples often consider their guru to be a mukta. Sometimes, its
> bvecause it makes one feel good. How does one know that he is a mukta?

As far as the disciple is concerned, it is more than feeling good. A disciple who
entertains doubts about his or her guru is lacking in the requisite SraddhA. By
the same token, someone whose behavior often gives rise to doubts should not
be considered a guru.

As far as one's own certainty is concerned, only he who is jivann eva mukta can
know that he is jIvanmukta. To put it another way, as long as I consider myself
to be other than that one Brahman, as long as you consider yourself to be other
than that one Brahman, in the innermost, deepest core of our being, that self-
imposed deviation and limitation will come through in everything that you and
I think, say and do. Therefore, ultimately, no one other than you or I can certify
whether you or I are/am a jIvanmukta. All that it requires is personal honesty,
integrity and certainty - it is as simple as that, as difficult as that!

Regards,
Vidyasankar