[Advaita-l] (Advaita) Bhakti vs. Jnana

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 05:13:53 CDT 2011

In the 13th Chapter of the Bhagavadgita the Lord specifies certain jnana
sadhanas.  By the word 'sadhana' here it is meant the 'means' as in the word
'sAdhana-chatuShTayam'.  Among these is this:

*मयि चानन्ययोगेन* भक्तिरव्यभिचारिणी । विविक्तदेशसेवित्वमरतिर्जनसंसदि ॥ १० ॥

Here the Lord says that for the Jnana to culminate in giving one liberation,
of the various requirements, the practice of one-pointed devotion to the
Lord is essential.  One can see that in the 18th chapter too, while
concluding and summarizing the discourse of the entire Gita, the Lord
specifies:   इदं ते नापस्काय *नाभक्ताय* कदाचन |. न चाशुश्रषवे वाच्यं न च माम
योअभ्यसूयति || (गीता --१८-६७ )

So, it is only a restatement of what He said earlier on the need for bhakti.
These verses are of the nature of the word 'atha' in the first Brahmasutra:
athAto bahma-jijnAsA.  The sAdhana chatuShTaya sampatti is what is spoken of
here in a different mode.

Now, a question arises as to why is this made a requirement in the Advaita
sadhana.  In reply we have to remember that in Vedanta, the sadhana for
liberation, the realization of the Tattva and moksha are all admitted in the
plane of vyavahara, that is, in the realm of maya.  Thus, moksha is relative
to bandha.  Since moksha sadhana implies bandha which itself is mAyika,
aavidyaka, apAramArthika, the sadhana for it and the siddhi are within the
gamut of maya, ignorance.  We have the Ishwaratattva, the category called
Ishwara as the governing principle in the / for the realm of maya.  मायां तु
प्रकृतिं विद्धि मायिनं तु महेश्वरम् says the shvetashvataropanishat.  This
is the scriptural proof for the vedantic position that Ishwara and
everything concerned with Him is maayika; maaya-related.  Since the entire
realm of jiva's bandha vyvahara is managed by Ishwara by way of srishti,
karma phala daana, etc. the moksha vyavahara of the jiva too is not outside
this realm of Ishwara.  Thus. even the moksha sadhana and its siddhi is
Ishwara-managed/dependent.  Without Ishwara's intervention in one or the
other way nothing in the bandha-moksha vyavahara takes place.  Hence the
grace of Ishwara is immensely required for the chaturvidha-purushartha
sadhana and siddhi.

One strong evidence for the fact that moksha siddhi too is dependent on the
Ishwara-managed vyavasthA is the Brahmasutra: 3.4.50
*ऐहिकमप्य*प्रस्तुतप्रतिबन्धे
तद्दर्शनात्   In this sutra it is said that the sadhana performed by the
jiva will deliver its fruit of liberating the jiva through atmajnanam ONLY
if there are no obstacles for that to happen.  Owing to past karma that has
begun to yield its fruit there will be no way the sadhana fructifies to give
the fruit of liberation.  In such a case, one will have to 'wait' till that
obstacle/s are worked out and the gateway is free for jnana to arise and
liberate the jiva.  This means, even though jnana is NOT karma phala, yet
for jnana to arise there has to be an obstacle-free condition; the obstacle
being the pendency of a past-kArmic fruit.  Shankara while explaining that
sutra quotes the Bh.Gita verses 'न हि कल्याणकृत् कश्चित् दुर्गतिं तात
गच्छति’ (6. 40) of bhagavan's reply and the earlier verse coming as a
question from Arjuna.  The other significant verse from the Gita quoted
there is: अनेकजन्मसंसिद्धस्ततो याति परां गतिम्’ 6,45). That shows that  this
field of atmasadhana-siddhi is very much within the range of Ishwara.
Wherever janma, maraNa, punarjanma, lokAntara, dhrma-adharma, bandha,
mokSha, karma phala, etc. are involved there is the hand of Ishwara's
governance. That is the reason why vedanta holds that the Atmajnana is
bestowed by Ishwara.  This only means that the management of samsara being
under Ishwara's supervision, moksha from bandha is within that jurisdiction
of Ishwara's governance.  Within this wide range come all aspects required
for /involved in sadhana like Ishwara, His cosmic 'body/form', His
particular forms of avatara, etc.

As we had noted earlier there are only two entities, tattva-s, spoken of in
the Scripture: Brahman and the world.  In other words, it is Purusha and
PrakRti.  The scripture wants the sadhaka to separate the Purusha from the
admixture of Prakriti and become able to view these two as distinct
entities; one satya and the other mithya.  Thus, in this scheme of the
scripture, all that is not Purusha is prakRti.  The so-called forms/bodies
of Ishwara and His avataras too come to be negated along with the jiva's
body/mind, etc. which are all dRshya, witnessed, jaDa,  and only the Pure
Consciousness, shuddha Chit, is to be retained for Atma jnana and
liberation.  When such a negation is done, even the body/forms of
Ishwara/avataras stand within the gamut of Prakriti.  No matter what
distinctions are made between the bodies of jivas/jivanmuktas and the
body/ies of Ishwara, they all come under prakriti alone.  Thus what is now
and then stated as not-prakriti or apraakrtam is also essentially only
prakriti.  It is only a subsidiary distinction, avAntara bheda, that is done
between what is prAkRta and what is aprAkRta; both belonging to prakRti
alone.  The parama bheda is however only between Chit and achit or chit and
jaDa or Purusha and prakRti.  This alone finally matters and not the
internal distinction between prAkRta and aprAkRta.

While it is saadhana bhakti to be devoted to Ishwara, His guNas and forms,
it is sAdhya bhakti to be able to see that even these are not the true
Purusha/Brahman but only prakRti.  For the sadhana to proceed the sAdhya
bhakti is essential and for the siddhi to culminate the sAdhya bhakti is
essential.  In other words one graduates from the former to the latter.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v