[Advaita-l] Fwd: What is 'aprAkRta' ?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Aug 3 00:50:39 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

RV prabhuji :

It is vishishtopadhi as Sankara clarfies in the case of Ishvara, which
reveals rather than cover or erroneously project.

bhaskar :

Kindly clarify where exactly shankara says Ishwara's is vishishtOpAdhi
unlike jeeva's sAmAnyOpAdhi.  From the siddhAnta drushti, brahman is
nirAkAra, nirguNa, nirvishesha and I dont think shankara compromises this
position of shruti anywhere.  In the ArambhAdhikaraNa sUtra bhAshya
shankara makes it very clear that the lordship of the lord, his
sarvajnatva, sarvashaktitva etc. are only relative to the limitation
caused by the conditioning of adjuncts of the nature of avidyA.  Atman is
ultimately nirguNa, niravayava and in reality Atman is divested of all
conditioning factors and on the dawn of jnAna, there cannot be any room
for conception like the ruler and the ruled, sarvajnatva etc. However, I
do agree that shankara while talking about upAsana, krama mukti etc. does
agree that Ishwara has the special ability to create and jeeva in
hiraNyagarbha lOka never matches the qualities of Ishwara in this respect.

RV prabhuji :

Brahman is like a featureless sleeping snake (nirguna brahman)which when
it dances (saguna brahman or adi karta narayayna) produces ghost images
(pancha bautika loka) through the instrument of maya.

bhaskar :

I think paramahaMsa rAmakrishna also gives this example to show
shiva-shakti abedha.  I do agree that when it comes to the 'reality' of
srushti, the srushtikarta is nothing but that omnipotent and omniscient
Ishwara.  shankara too acknowledges this in the very second sUtra of
brahma sUtra.  And elsewhere shankara talks about the 'exclusive
attributes' of the brahman since mundaka shruti says this brahman is
sarvajnaH, sarvavit etc.  But, again, all these points donot prove that
brahman is even in the paramArthika sense vishishtOpAdhika Ishwara.
sOpAdhika brahma is meant only for meditation and saguNOpAsana.  And for
the enquiry & realization it would be shruti-s ultimatum i.e. nirguNa,
nirAkAra, nirupAdhika, nirvishesha parabrahman only.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar