[Advaita-l] Sreemath Hariharapura

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:27:42 CDT 2011

The name Sankaracharya has become a title, more so within the last 100 years or
so than ever before. There is a Matha at Karavir (near Kolhapur) in Maharashtra,
the Ramachandrapura and Swarnavalli Sonda Mathas in Karnataka (associated with
the Havyaka Brahmin community) and many other traditional institutions within the
Advaita tradition. All these Mathadhipati-s are also titled Sankaracharya-s.

The Hariharapura Matha is perhaps one of the oldest branches of Sringeri Peetham.
Hariharapura is a village very close to Sringeri and many successive heads of this
Matha have had "Swayamprakasha" included in their dIksha names.

Regards,
Vidyasankar