[Advaita-l] The Jnani's feeling of physical pain

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Sep 21 23:26:50 CDT 2010

praNAms Sri praNipat chaitanya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

The body breathes, sees, touches, etc., and the normal functions of the
prakrti are said to be superimposed on the Self the Atman which is not
acting.

>  Yes prabhuji, you have made an apt point..prakruti is superimposed on
nirvikAri, nirvishesha Atman and jnAni (for the discussions sake we have
to address the jnAni as third party)is nothing but this Atman (brahmavit
brahmaiva bhavati)..If somebody argues that NO..NO...this superimposition
is not there on parabrahman but since we are 'seeing' the 'body' of the
brahma jnAni, we are saying that jnAni has the body...Then onus is on them
to 'show' a separate 'parabrahman' which is NOT superimposed by prakruti
or otherwise they have to accept that this parabrahman, which is NOT
adhyArOpita by prakruti, is mere theoritical reality in the books..Since
both these position are illogical and goes against siddhAnta, they have to
accept the shankara's declaration that vidvAn sa ihaiva brahma yadyapi
dehavAniva lakshyate sa brahmaiva san brahmApyEti.

Why should one fix a nose to a jnAni just because the body is breathing,
cover it with a skin because the body react to touch etc., is the point in

question.

>  The answer to this question you may hear is :  It is because we are
'still' seeing the 'body' of the jnAni,its normal function & it is
practically NOT possible to 'know' the jnAni's existence without
identifying 'him' with the body!!  But they are forgetting the fact that
it is 'we' who, due to our ajnAna cannot go beyond BMI thinking that jnAni
is doing this, doing that, he is breathing, laughing, weeping, begging
etc..but jnAni's realization is that he is 'always' ashareeri only and
hence he is never ever a bhOktru or katru..shankara makes this point amply
clear in geeta bhAshya : lOkavyavahAra sAmAnya darshanena tu laukikaiH
ArOpita katrutve bhikshAtanAdau karmaNi kartA bhavati, svAnubhavena tu
shAstra pramANa janitena akartaiva...

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar