[Advaita-l] The Jnani's feeling of physical pain

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 12:56:57 CDT 2010

> > 1. The doership, kartRtva, of the Jnani is what is superimposed on him
> > by
> > the loukika-s, uninitiated. He does not say anywhere that the actions
> > themselves, karma, are so superimposed by the ignorant.
> >
> Hari Om Shri Subrahmanianji, Pranaams!
>
> This is a new line of argument but seems strange.

Permit me to intrude with a short comment here.

Breathing is a natural action of every living being. The ajnAnI breathed in and
out involuntarily since the moment of birth. By practising breath control and
attaining to citta Suddhi, he became fit for jnAna. After the rise of jnAna, even
as the jnAnI knows that he is not an agent, the breathing continues, does it not?

I think the point that Sri Subrahmanian makes is getting lost in the reactions to
his posts. It is simple - the functioning body and mind of the person continue to
function normally after the rise of jnAna. It is not as if the rise of jnAna is a
magical transformation of the person's body, mind, sight, hearing, touch etc.
That is all. Whom we call a jnAnI, a jIvanmukta, is an embodied being endowed
with all these, which continue on their prArabdha determined course, but who
knows that his identity is the disembodied brahman, not these embodied
endowments. This is the very basis for separating out paramArtha from
vyavahAra. As such, it seems to me neither very new nor very strange.

Regards,
Vidyasankar