[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 01:52:47 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Jaldhar ji,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> Back to your original question, one's karma is mostly ones own but it is
> affected by ones attachment.  If their child were hurt, doesn't a parent
> feel the pain as keenly themselves?  Similarly if something good happened in
> their lives, doesn't a parent get just as happy themselves?  The pitrs are
> connected to their descendents like no one else.

If I'm not mistaken this is termed as gauNAtma in Panchadashi and even in
Brahma Sutra Bhashya 1.1.4 tattu samanvayAt as

gauNamithyAtmano asatve putradehAdi bAhanAt.h
sat.h brahmAtmaham-ityeva bodhe kAryam.h katham.h bhavet.h

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */