[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 10:14:20 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>

>>  yes, you are right 'vrata kathe' in 5 adhyAya-s go like this!!  but
> dont you think this would show satyanArAyaNa in a bad light??  is this
> devata lacking proper discrimination power to take revenge irrationally on
> the whole family?? why he has to appear in front of those vaishya & his
> son-in-law despite knowing they are liars??  why at the end he has shown
> his 'real' form to those 'vartaka-s' without any meaningful sAdhana from
> them!!?? If you dig these type of stories further, you will end up in
> getting doubts like this. is it not??  Anyway, I always take these purANic
> stories with a pinch of salt and I think these episodes cannot be held as
> pramANa to prove karma by one & its anubhOga by another!!

Duryodhana's Papa made the whole Kaurava family suffer. If he gave
Pandavas the land no Kaurava would have got killed because they would
have not fought a war. One Jeeva can do such a big Papa other Jeeva-s
around it can suffer the results. Many examples we see of this.A bad
son's Papa can make his parents and friends suffer.

> The Purana have lot of stories Papa of someone will punish him and his
> family.  Why should we see Vedanta to explain this?
>
>> purANic stories should ultimately lead us to vedAntic parama siddhAnta.

If Purana is not against Vedanta we should accept it. Does Vedanta
says one Jeeva's karma cannot make another Jeeva the Bhokta also? If
other Jeeva-s are the Bhokta and Papa Karta Jeeva is not Bhokta this
is wrong because it is against law of Karma.But Purana never says it.
In Sathyanarayana Vrata Katha the Sadhu Vaisya suffers with his
family.

Regards

-Venkatesh