[Advaita-l] Advaita and Caste System

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 01:46:05 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Suresh ji,

Advaita Vedanta like all orthodox systems believes in karma theory, in
which case birth and caste are both determined by actions in previous
births, cumulative. That said, caste system is not racism because
shAstrAs that are offshoots from Vedas define what a person of one
caste should follow, unlike racism created by humans. The body, mind
and intellect among humans is not the same, only the Atman is the
same, in which case, caste applies to the BMI and not to the Atman.
Just because modern science says everything is same at the atomic
level, we don't substitute one material for other considering
everything same, do we? There is no hypocrisy here. The level of
equality cannot be applied to anything and everything because
everything is One at the level of brahman/ paramArthika. This is
neither denial nor rationalization, its what the foundation says. One
cannot be selective in choosing from the Vedas as per his own modern
beliefs and misunderstandings.

If such questions do arise, discarding all that karma theory stands
for, one must try and correct his own misunderstanding. A simple
parallel I suggest is with the following example: modern thinking
suggests that the eligibility of a person to do anything is to be
based on the education, experience and level of intelligence he
acquired. Does anyone question this and if not, why not call all equal
and fight that out? Orthodox systems believe in the same thing but the
span is not restricted to this life, its spread across lives, which an
average human being cannot see. The present life is a result of such
acquisition across past lives and hence the birth in a particular
caste in this life, defining the eligibility.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */