[Advaita-l] The Jnani's feeling of physical pain

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Oct 20 07:13:05 CDT 2010

praNAms Sri praveen prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Kindly pardon me for this very belated reply...I was down with severe
conjunctivitis (popularly known as 'Madras Eye' here in Bangalore :-)) &
hectic karma at office :-)) Today only I am reading all these mails in
detail.  Hope you wont mind my share of thoughts here.

Hari OM, Bhaskar ji,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

>>  You might have observed prabhuji, jnAni's prArabdha is not only
> restricted ONLY to the continuation of his body after the dawn of jnAna,
> but it has its own influence on jnAni's mind as well, due to his/her
> prArabdha sometimes, as against his Atma jnAna, he may get angry, he may
> be sad sometime, but after getting these rAgAdi feelings in his mind,

praveen prabhuji :

Of course, I meant dehAdi when I said body... and when prArabdha affects
it, it may generate whatever feelings its due to generate, but the j~nAni
abiding in brahmabhAva may not have anything to do with it.

bhaskar :

If jnAni, who is completely abiding in brahmabhAva (or brahman himself),
does not have to do anything with prArabdha, kindly tell me whose
suffering is this?? jnAni's?? or BMI of jnAni??  jnAni, abiding himself in
brahmabhAva, anyway cannot have dehAtma buddhi, so sufferings & feelings
cannot touch 'him' anyway...So, if at all we are seeing the feeling &
suffering of jnAni's body, then definitely it is our own superimposition
of dehAtma buddhi on the jnAni and asserting that see ramaNa is
acknowleding the pain in 'his' body, krishna getting angry, rAma weeping
for his wife etc. is it not??

praveen prabhuji :

This is not the same as saying that aj~nAnis have superimposed those
rAgAdi on the j~nAni.

bhaskar :

IMO, there are only two options available for us here...Either we have to
accept that jnAni, even after having Atma jnAna or abiding himself in Atma
bhAva would occasionally get rAgAdi feelings (vAsana-s) by identifying
himself with the BMI OR having realized the truth that he is 'ashareeri'
always, he does not/cannot have dehAtma buddhi to feel the feelings of
rAga, dvesha...So, socalled activities/attitudes of jnAni-s are merely in
the perception of ajnAni-s who cannot go beyond the realms of jnAni-s BMI.
 Kindly tell me which one we should opt here.

> immediately he takes the help of his achieved jnAna & tries to subdue
> it...

praveen prabhuji :

This is what I have trouble understanding. The subduing of it need not be
an active involvement the way this statement makes it appear. Its the same
prArabdha that subdues it. The forest fires need not necessarily spread,
it may just be a spark that dies off on its own.

bhaskar :

I am sorry, I am finding it difficult to catch your thoughts here.  Do you
mean to say here jnAni's jnAna (Atma jnAna) does not have anything to do
with his attitude & controlling of his emotions??  If everything taking
care by his prArabdha itself then what is the use of jnAna??  As per
standard theory, jnAna cannot influence the prArabdha karma phala of the
'present' jnAni, so jnAni with the influence of his prArabdha may get
kAma, krOdha due to 'external' stimulations, if his prArabdha is such that
he has to 'get-on' with these vipareeta pratyaya-s/vAsana-s, then jnAni
will be the victim of these rAgAdi vAsana-s is it not?? His prArabdha may
prompt him 'kill' some one or hurt someone, there is absolutely no control
over it from jnAni's side!!   Kindly clarify your stand prabhuji.  Anyway,
shankara in bruhadAraNyaka says very clearly that there is no vipareeta
pratyaya for the jnAni, whether there is influence of prArabdha or not.

And this suppression time again depends on his prArabdha janita
> dehendriya-s...

praveen prabhuji :

Which really means its not really with active participation, doesn't it?

bhaskar :

Frankly, I dont know the answer to this question, since it is not my
stand.  Anyway, as I understood, suppression time may vary from jnAni to
jnAni depending upon the 'set' of BMI he has, again this BMI is the result
of his prArabdha.  But it seems that this prArabdha is the cause for his
subsequent kAma krodhAdi feelings as well apart from mere continuation of
his 'body' !!

So, according to some perception, even jnAni gets the whip
> of his prArabdha karma & uses jnAna as against it & subdue it over a
> period of time.

praveen prabhuji :

I don't seem to understand *uses* j~nAna,

bhaskar :

prabhuji, as per my understanding of the recent discussion on jnAni's
cheshte, using of jnAna is something like this, whenever jnAni gets the
feelings or pravrutti-s in his mind, immediately he takes the shelter
under newly acquired jnAna and sits in a witness box & objectify these
feelings and controls or subdue it by thinking about his jnAna svarUpa.

praveen prabhuji :

but it gets subdued based on prArabdha sounds well,

bhaskar :

but jnAna cannot influence prArabdha and there is no guarantee that
prArabdha gets dissolved on its own!!  one jnAni's pratyaya may subdue
immediately coz. of his prArabdha but another jnAni's vipareeta pratyaya
may continue to be there longer time causing more harms again due to the
influence of same prArabdha..It is logical (according to some others!!) to
think so, because prArabdha continues 'as long as' he is there in his
BMI...in other words, kAma krodhAdi pravrutti-s will be there for the
jnAni as long as he is there in the complex of BMI and he cannot even get
the help of his jnAna to subdue it..is this what you are trying to say
here prabhuji??

praveen prabhuji :

because whatever level of citta shuddhi was achieved prior to j~nAna with
active involvement, the vestige
remaining vAsanas would drop on their own in time, without active
involvement.

bhaskar :

again, whether partial (or diffirent levels of purification) chitta
shuddhi is enough to get svarUpa jnAna is a matter of further
deliberation..shankara says in geeta bhAshya shama damAdi susamskruta
manaH Atma darshane karaNaM and in the very first sUtra bhAshya too he
talks about the qualification that is required for brahma jignAsa & jnAna
..I dont think shankara assures us here that 'bhAgashaH' chitta shuddhi is
enough to realize Atma jnAna!!??  He might have talked about it somewhere
else, kindly let me know.

But what happens between the interval (i.e.after getting
> the feeling and before subduing the same) is not in his hand, coz.
during
> that time he will be completely under the influence of this rAgAdi
> vAsana-s which is the result of his prArabdha!!

praveen prabhuji :

Again, what happens getting the feeling and before subduing it is the
same prArabdha that subdues it too.

bhaskar :

So, as per the above statement, jnAna of the jnAni does not have any role
to play here...so prArabdha and its influence is ONE and the SAME for both
jnAni & ajnAni...and jnAni sometimes behave & indulge in activities like
ajnAni due to his prArabdha karma phala.  Dont you think jnAni's life
getting tuff because of this prArabdha:-))

> That the body has prArabdha and not AtmA/ j~nAni, as well as, the body
is
> superimposed on the AtmA/ j~nAni are equally true in case of j~nAni or
> a~jnAni.
>
>>  Yes, that is the reason why attributing BMI to Atma even after jnAna
is
> something alien to advaita siddhAnta.

praveen prabhuji :

But saying that the BMI which was earlier associated with prArabdha,
continues to have prArabdha does not at all mean that BMI is
attributed to Atma.

bhaskar :

But haven't we attributing BMI to Atma jnAni who is nothing but jnAna
svarUpa??

praveen prabhuji :

And if it is a superimposition by aj~nAnis on the j~nAni, then it was so
earlier to rise of j~nAna too. Why
should this be a differentiating factor at all? What aj~nAnis see in a
jivanmukta BMI wouldn't have changed of any volition of the
ajnAnis. It cannot at all be a differentiating factor for the BMI that
existed earlier and exists now. Nor has what made the BMI live on
prior to j~nAna changed post j~nAna per se. The only thing
that has changed, in my humble understanding, is that the false claim
on BMI's doership by the mithyAtma.

bhaskar :

Yes, that is what we have been saying, we are always in reality always
ashareeri only...shankara quite specific here that Atman's svabhAvika
lakshana is 'ashareeratvaM' only and sashareeratvam is kevala
mithyAkalpitaM. And jnAni even though looking like living in the body he
is ashareeri only (dehavAniva lakshyate).   Despite knowing this fact from
bhAshya vAkya-s, if we give undue importance to BMI & rAgAdi dOsha-s in
the name of prArabdha is something untenable!!

>>  IMHO, nothing special...if jnAni's body is something special then we
> would have preserved it by all possible means!! is it not:-))

It is indeed something special for aj~nAnis. It is an instrument that
facilitated the fructification of j~nAna. And so, traditionally, we
worship the samAdhi of j~nAnis, don't we?

bhaskar :

Yes, you are right prabhuji..jnAni's body & samAdhi-s are there for
ajnAni-s, jnAni is always dehAteeta only.

>>  it is shraddha of ajnAni's, who, with their limited conditioned mind
> which cannot go/think beyond jnAni's body coz. this ajnAni thinks that
he
> is embodied one!!...And you would agree with me that when we are
> worshipping the jnAni-s in their physical form, it is implicitly
> understood that we are not offering our pooja ONLY to their physical
body
> to make the jnAni-s body a special attraction over the advaya tattva
:-))

But that we do to all worship, how else can offerings be made without
a channel? :)

bhaskar :

Yes, again agreed prabhuji...these channels, medium etc. are required for
us, ajnAni-s, who cannot go beyond the dehAtma buddhi

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat

praNAms onceagain
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!