[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden (satyanArAyaNa pUjA)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Oct 7 00:21:07 CDT 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> It seems there is an anecdote in Bengal linking the worship of
> Satyanaaraayana to one Satya-pir, a Muslim saint. It could be that
> Satya-pir worshipped Lord Narayana in a particular way, say by using one
> and quarter measure of the the offered items in the Naivedya.

Satya Pir does not seem to have been an actual person.  Sunil have you
heard of "satyapirer panchali"?  It is supposedly a Bengali poem telling
the story of Satya Pir/Satyanarayana.  I would like to know if it has any
relation to the Satyanarayana katha from the Skanda Purana.  I have seen a
few suggestions that it does but as I don't understand Bengali I can't
really tell.  These sources have a little information

http://www.banglapedia.org/httpdocs/HT/S_0146.HTM
http://www.banglapedia.org/httpdocs/HT/K_0128.HTM

but they do not seem to be all that reliable.