[Advaita-l] Does Brahman know?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 19:59:40 CST 2010

That Mandukya Karika Mantra has Sarvajna also. Brahman can be Sarvajna
because other than itself there is nothing to know.

But there is interesting question.

Is Brahman with I consciousness? For I consciousness there must be
other. If there is no other is there I? Is I consciousness because of
Ego?

Regards

-Venkatesh

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM, V Subrahmanian
<v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> About Turiya they say Kevalam Asti Iti Vaktum Sakyam. We can say only
>> It is. Knowing something is only at Vyavahara level because there
>> should be knower and known thing. In Turiya Avastha there is only One
>> thing There is no knower and no known thing also. There is nothing to
>> know. Any comments?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> -Venkatesh
>>

> Consciousness, Brahman, can and does exist without any object to be
> illumined or conscious of.  Nor does It require a knower to validate Its
> existence. The MaandUkya kArikA 3.36 and Bhagavatpada's bhashya give a fine,
> crisp description of this nature of Brahman/Turiya:
>
> In that kArikA the word crucial for understanding the above nature of
> Brahman is:    सकृद्विभातम् (sakRd-vibhAtam).  The bhAShyam is:
>
> सकृद्विभातं - सदैव विभातं सदा भारूपम् अग्रहण-अन्यथाग्रहण-*
> आविर्भाव-तिरोभाव-वर्जितत्वात्* । .....*नित्यचैतन्यभारूपत्वा*च्च युक्तं
> सकृद्विभातमिति ।
>
> //..ever illumined, constant effulgence by nature,since It is devoid of
> non-manifestastion that is consequent on non-perception, and devoid of
> manifestation that is contingent on wrong perception.  ...since Brahman is
> by nature the light  that is *eternal Consciousness*,it is but reasonable
> that It should be constantly effulgent. //
>
> The Brihadaranyaka mantra: na hi draShTuH dRShTeH viparilopo vidyate,
> avinAshitvaat - is also of the above meaning.
>
> It would be beneficial to read the bhashyam for the Mundaka mantra 2.1.10 (न
> तत्र सूर्यो भाति..).
>
> In the Taittiriya Bhashyam for the word 'jnAnam' occurring in 'satyam jnAnam
> anantam Brahma', the word 'jnapti' is given as explanation.
>
> Interestingly, this word  सकृद्विभातम् (sakRd-vibhAtam) is found in the
> SrimadbhAgavatam 4.31.16 too.
>
> Regards,
> subrahmanian.v

Regards