[Advaita-l] jnAna-karma samuccaya

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 16:24:44 CST 2010

Dear Vidyasankarji,

A Jnani has to be SthiraJnani or SthiraPrajna and as the Lord told the Characteristics of the Sthiraprajn, one will have to be steady in keeping  away from the objects of the senses ((not physically alone, it will have to be mentally as well ) and he will have to be steady in  Dharana, Dhyana and go to Samadhi ( if not be in Dhyana and Samadh all the time). This indicates the possibility of a fall of the jnanai if he is not able to be steady like a true Sthiraprajan does. That person can neither be called pure Karmayogi nor pure Jnanayogi. He would be able to go either way depending on his propensity either way. In such cases the JnanaKarma Samuccaya seems to have some meaning. Or take the case of a Karmayogi, who having read the Bhagavad Gita, takes to the practice of self-sacrifice and does humanitarian work without any ppersonal agenda.  Would you think his renunciation (albeit developing gradually) will be in vain?

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya