[Advaita-l] Vidyaranya.'s discusion on Yoga.

srikanta srikanta at nie.ac.in
Sun Nov 14 02:41:51 CST 2010

In the "Sarva Dharshana sangraha,Vidyaranya also examines the various
concepts in "Yoga darshana",and finally has stated the Adwaithic
position.It is not that both shankara and vidyaranya have studied either
Snakhya,yoga or some other darshanas and practiced the concepts there in
and incorporated them in their siddhantas.If we were to think that the
Adwaita sidhanta contains an iota of sankhya or yoga,then we will enter
into "pitch darkness"as said in the Ishawasyopanishad."Andham tamah
pravishanti ye sambhutimupasate,tatho bhuya iva te tamo,ye asambhutyam
ratah".
                                                 N.Srikanta.