[Advaita-l] Yogavashishta and Gaudapada karikas.

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 14:46:04 CST 2010

Dear Srikantaji,

Yoga has its own place in the spiritual journey and no ancient Vedantic scholar has ever denied its importance.  Had it been not importance Gaudapadacharya would not have mentioned it anywhere. If anybody says that yoga practice alone without knowledge can attain Brahman that is not right. To my knowledge no acknowledged Vedantic scholar had said that.  Acquiring knowledge, and practice of austerity and meditation are required for attaining the Brahman. If one just reads up what the word Brahman means is not enough. Jnana and Yoga are both required in the spiritual path.  For the realisation of Brahman yoga has an important role.   When I say that Yoga and Vedantic knowledge both are required am I denying the rightful place of Vedanta., the ultimate knowledge. None including Gaudapada denied the role of Yoga. Let me speak in your own way : Do you understand (this)? BTW if you read Katha, Maitri and Svetasvatara Upanishads things may be easier for
 you to understand.

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya