[Advaita-l] A Peep into the Patanjali System

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun May 30 00:35:27 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Subrahmanianji,
>
> Namaste,
>
> You missed the whole point. Sankhya is valid knowlege but it is at a lower
> level than that of the Vedanta. Hence it has rightly been not equated to
> Vedanta. At Vedanta's level it rightly faces rejection.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sunil K. Bhattacharjya

Dear Sunil ji,

I had covered the point in the earlier post:

//........Further, in the spirit of the Sruti असंगो ह्ययं पुरुषः
(Br.Up.4.3.16) [This PuruSha is indeed non-attached] the sAnkhyakaarikA 62
says:

तस्मान्न बध्यतेऽद्धा न मुच्यते नापि संसरति कश्चित् ।
संसरति बध्यते मुच्यते च नानाश्रया प्रकृतिः ॥

which declares that, in reality, there is neither bondage nor transmigration
nor liberation for anyone; all such parlance is to be traced to prakRti
(which has been shown above to be illusory).  This is reminiscent of the
Mandukya kArikA:

न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिः न बद्धो नैव साधकः ।
न मुमुक्षुर्न वै मुक्त इत्येषा परमार्थता ॥ २.३२

//There is neither dissolution nor creation, none in bondage and none
practicing disciplines. There is none seeking Liberation and none liberated.
This is the absolute truth. //

Here is a verse that traces the penultimate position of the Sankhya
(pariNAmavAda) as against the final position that is the Vedantic
VivartavAda:

विवर्तवादस्य पूर्वभूमिः वेदान्तवादे परिणामवादः ।
व्यवस्थितेऽस्मिन् परिणामवादे स्वयं समायाति विवर्तवादः ॥

I think it is from the SankshepashAreeraka.

[The doctrine of transformation (Sankhya) is the one that just precedes the
doctrine of transfiguration (vivarta) of the Vedanta.  Once the former is
well grasped, the latter falls in place by itself.]

In any case, in the BSB the Sankhya is rejected mainly on the grounds that
they hold the insentient pradhAna as the jagat-kAraNam while for Vedanta it
is the Conscious Brahman, in association with Maya.  To say that 'Sankhya's
is valid knowledge' would apply to all darshanams in their own sphere.  Even
pratyaksha is valid knowledge in the vyavaharika of the Vedanta.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v