[Advaita-l] GYAnimAtra and the sthitapraGYa (was Re: FW: Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 13:23:51 CDT 2010

--- On Sat, 5/8/10, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, S
> Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> > > In my opinion, if the Yajnavalkya
> > > case is resolved, things will be very
> > > clear about the mukta and jivanmukta as per the
> JVM.
> > > Personally I do not
> > > see any problem here.  Sri Vidyaranya
> himself agrees
> > > that Yajnavalkya is an
> > > aparoksha jnani with the authoriity of being a
> Brahmavidya
> > > Acharya of the
> > > Upanishads. Nowhere he says that he is not a
> mukta, to
> >
> > But VidyAraNya unambiguously says that YAGYavalkya is
> NOT a jIvanmukta.
> > Given that the discussion is about YAGYavalkya's state
> when he was disputing
> > with others, we are talking about whether or not a
> living person has
> > attained to mukti. If not jIvanmukti, what other
> "mukti" are we talking
> > about?!
> >

> Dear Karthik, there is no doubt about this.  But I
> have been asking for
> evidence to from the JMV to say that Yajnavalkya was NOT a
> liberated soul
> and that he would be reborn.

Being free of rebirth is one aspect of mukti. Being free of another of vAsanAs is another.

> To say or assert that
> Yajnavalkya is not a
> jivanmukta does not imply that he was not a mukta at
> all.  Pl. see what the
> JMV itself says, a little before the kRtopAsti - akRtopAsti
> discussion:
>
> //As the obliteration of latent impressions (vasanakshaya)
> and 'the
> dissolution of the mind', are the PRINCIPAL CAUSES OF
> JIVANMUKTI (liberation
> in life), so Jnanam is the PRINCIPAL CAUSE OF VIDEHAMUKTI
> (liberation after
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> death),
 ^^^^^^^^^

> it being the DIRECT means of attaining the same.
> Says the Smriti;
> From Jnana alone is attained kaivalya, whereweith one is
> liberated.//
>
> Thus, Sri Vidyaranya does make a distinction between
> jivanmukti and mukti in
> general, also termed videha mukti or moksha.
>
> This is the settled view of the shastra and of the
> JMV.  Going by this, the
> akRtopAsti who has the samyagjnAnam, characterized by the
> absence of
> *ignorance, doubt and false pperception  *with real
> Jnana achieved* is
> mukta*.

You have said above that Videhamukti is "liberation after death", and yet you want to confer this status on YAGYavalkya the moment he attained to saMyagGYAna, which was during his life!

Regards,
Kartik