[Advaita-l] Sankara and maNDana - jnAna, jnAna-karma samuccaya and prasaMkhyAna

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Tue May 4 00:18:36 CDT 2010

One of the most beautiful examples I have heard on jNana and its impact on
the mind is from one of the lectures of Swami Paramarthananda on Chapter 6
of the Gita (which you refer to in your post below "Shanaih Shanaih.
uparamet...). He gives the example of the "perception" of the sun revolving
around the earth as the perception. Wih knowledge, we know that it is the
earth that rotates that causes the impression that the sun revolves. This
does not imply that after the arrival of this knowledge, my perception of
the sun's revolution of the earth changes. I however see the "fact" behind
the apparent reality. When I am firmly rooted in knowledge, I am not
affected by the world as I see it as superimposition on Brahman (vikshepa).

Similarly, after jNana, the jNani continues to act externally. By virtue of
his jNana however, he does not attribute this action to his mind (which
"was" on account of ignorance). This is because he has disidentified the I
from the mind and is firmly rooted in Brahman. So, any apparent action on
his part does not imply karma because karma by definition is action with the
notion of doership. The mind continues to be embodied until the prarabdha
that caused the embodiment is exhausted. Once that is exhausted, the jNani
attains videha mukti.

Two questions therefore haunts all seekers but (and as as seeker myself, I
am convinced) can never be answered because it depends on the prarabdha and
degree of preparation of the mind of the mumukshu:

a) How long should I do sravanam-mananam-nidhidhyasanam before knowledge
"dawns"? This is a function of how pure the mind is and the "possession" of
the shatka sampattis. It is the test of the shraddha of the mumukshu to
continue his sadhana until knowldege dawns with the grace of the guru and
Ishwara.

b) Once knowledge "dawns" what will happen to "me"? This is a function of
the pararabdha. With knowledge, there is no more sanchita and agami karma to
keep the jiva in bondage.

I think both questions indicate ignorance and jNana leads to the cessation
of the question from arising in the mind.

Sri gurubhyo namah,

- Suresh