[Advaita-l] A help required - BilvAShTakam

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 13:52:16 CDT 2010

Sir

To my knowledge, jaatu is an avyaya meaning 'once'; it is more often used with na, as 'na jaatu' meaning not even once. Here the meaning is if one offers a saalagrama Sila (that is the linga, representing Siva) to a Vipra (who is well versed in the Vedas and Sastras), one indeed (hi) gets the same merit as performing a soma yajña. The sloka looks alright.

That said, I am not able to access the original bilvaashTakam and confirm the reading.

Best regards
Senani