[Advaita-l] A Perspective -24

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 11:42:47 CDT 2010

"One is mechanically receiving the message from a teacher."

The teacher in our parlance is the Guru.  I suspect the teacher referred to
above is the Mahavaakya which in my humble opinion is not correct.

In the 10th man story the stranger who points out the 10th man is the Guru.
If the stranger who points out the 10th man is not part of the story then
there would never be a story at all just as if it was not for Seetha goading
Rama to go in search of the golden deer about which he had the conviction
that no such golden deer ever existed.  That is if Rama did not leave Seetha
then Ravana would not have taken her away and so Rama would have completed
his exile and returned to Ayodhya to claim his kingship.  No one would be
interested in such a bland story.

We have to discern which is the vital part of the story.

In fact the story of the 10th man stresses the unquestionable need for the
Guru without whose help the 10th man could never have been found.

The appearance of the Guru is predestined as everything else in this
prakrthi.

True faith is in Bhagavan only and in surrendering at His holy feet.  This
is the truest Satsangam.  This will enable one to disengage one's desires
and do nishkaamakarmam.  This is nirmOhathwam.  What happens next is a
foregone conclusion and there is actually no role for the jeeva or his
mind.  They are on the wane.  During this time they know all the bhOthams
without efforts and they too disappear along with jeevahood and his
paraphernalia called the BMI.

Regards,
Anbu