[Advaita-l] A Question on Sundara Pandya

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:18:59 CDT 2010

> From the fact that he has been respectfully quoted both in Mimamsa and
> Vedanta, MM. Kuppusami Sastri articulates that Saundarapandya should have
> written a vartika on the vrtti-s of Upavarsa which were on the Mimamsa and
> the Brahma Sutra-s. Prof Kuppusami Sastri further goes to argue that with
> the suffix ‘pandya’ Saundara may be originally from southern part of India
> and also argues that he may be identified with one ‘Kun Pandya’ – who was a
> learned King of Pandya region and was converted from Jainism to Saivism by

It is probable that sundara pANDya was from the south, but for purely
sociological reasons at that time in Indian history, I would doubt the
identification of a scholar/teacher named sundara pANDya with a king
of the pANDya dynasty from Madurai.

As for the Saiva or other leanings of Sankara bhagavatpAda, that is a
much-debated topic where all sides make too many leaps in judgement,
without looking into the bhAshya-s as a whole. That is a topic for a very
different discussion!

Regards,

Vidyasankar