[Advaita-l] The Enlightened Eminently Engage in Empirical Endeavors - Part 2

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 01:27:06 CST 2010

Namaste Dear Siva,

The points you have made are quite interesting.

In the Sutra bhashya we find sentences like these:

 Shankara says in sUtra bhAshya that even anAshrami-s like raikva,
vAchaknavi *etc.* have got that
Atma vidyA.
.anAshramitvena vartamAnOpi vidyAyAmadhikriyate, kutaH??
taddrushteH, raikva, vAchaknavi *prabhruteenAM*, evaM bhutAnAmapi
brahmavitva shrutyupalabdheH...

While the exact reference of the Bhashya is not available now to me,
here is another
reference, with the key word 'prabhRti'which means 'etc.'.

In the bhashya for sutra 1.3.38 we have:

yeShAM punaH pUrvakRta-samskAravashaat vidura, dharmavyaadha
prabhRteenAm jnAnotpattiH...

On the strength of such statements where some Vedic and PurANic
persons have been specifically
named by Shankaracharya and the several unnamed are also indicated by
the word 'etc'.
there would be no defect in quoting from the Shruti or puraaNa-s
persons whom we know
for certain are Jnani-s.  There is no reason why only certain cases
who have been specifically
mentioned can be quoted by us and not the others.  I hope your concern
on this subject
has been addressed by me.  By this rule of 'etc.' I don't think that
any transgression of
the tradition is committed.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v