[Advaita-l] Advaita and Bhagavad Gita

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 09:50:51 CDT 2010

In Bhagavad Gita, there are many verses where Lord Krishna says I am the
supreme Lord, I am everything, every thing emanates from me and I am
distinct from every thing. I am omniscient and you are not. I should be
worshipped by falling at my feet and you should surrender to me for which I
will reward you with moksha etc. There are also many verses where Arjuna
glorifies Lord Krishna as the Supreme Lord and his transcendental form.
Sanjaya also glorifies Lord Krishna's form but neither of them talk about
even a theoretical understanding jiva-brahma aikya. Lord Krishna's direct
students do not understand his nirguna aspect but worship his transcendental
form in the mood of an insignificant bhakta.There are direct statements
saying that the jivatma is an energy of the paramatma, whereas the paramatma
is distinct from jivatma and material energy (bhumir apo). There are clear
statements which say that jivatma is an amsa of the paramatma (mamaivamso).
Is there at least one verse in Bhagavad Gita which can be interpreted
unambigously as evidence for advaitam?