[Advaita-l] mayavadam asat sastram

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:36:00 CDT 2010

As most people on this forum may be aware, Sri Jiva Gosvam quotes
Padma Purana verse "mayavadam asat sastram" to conclude that Lord Siva
appeared as Sankara to teach Mayavada Philosophy. Mayavada
specifically refers to denying absolute reality of names, forms and
actions of Isvara as well as the world. According to one Advaita
scholar I talked to, this verse refers to Saiva Siddhanta not
Advaitam. But it was his personal opinion not based on the works of
any Advaita Purvacharya. As Madhusudana Saraswati was a contemporary
of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, I was hoping to see explanation of this
charge by him or one of his disciples.

Can anyone on this forum, please clarify what is the traditional
position on this?

I hope that this does not raise a controversy but helps me understand.