[Advaita-l] Bh.Gita verse 18.73 - Was Arjuna an 'aparoksha Jnani'? - Part 4

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 05:53:16 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> How can  a man in the middle of samsara with his wife and children and
> many attachments to money, house car food get moksha? It is like
> catching the crocodile tail to cross a river.  It cannot  be done.
> even one attachment is  enough to prevent  moksha what is  the fate if
> there are many. sanyasa is a must to study vedanta properly and get
> moksha.
>
>>  if any one has the quality (that he would get/obtain in saNyAsa (i.e.
> viveka, vairAgya) in any ashrama then in that ashrama only he would get
> that mOksha...As I told before, the dawn of jnAna or mOkshAvasthA is not
> any vraNAshrama adheena..
>
> The crocodile caught Adi Sankara. It left him after mother promised he
> can become sanyasi. This story tells sanyasa is very very important.
>
>>  in the case of shankara...but it does not mean that those who want to
> persue jnAna mArga first should get the bite from crocodile :-)) Those who
> got this jnAna in gruhasthAshrama from them pArivrAjyaM is artha siddhAm.

One rule for Sankara other rule for us. This is not correct.  sanyasa
is important for all. If Gruhastha stops doing Sandhyavandana and
other duties thinking I will be sanyasi he is cheating. He is not
following his Gruhastha duty and not sanyasi duty also. He becomes a
sinner. He cannot claims to be sanyasi living happily with his wife.

> Women and non brahmins cannot  become sanyasi.  Therefore no moksha.
> To solve this problem they can study puranas and Gita. Then they get
> chance for   moksha by getting born as brahmins.
>
>>  Kindly see apashudrAdhikaraNa in shankara's sUtra bhAshya...
>
> If all can get  moksha how are brahmins better?  This is meaningless.
> Only brahmins have all the samskaras and background.  others dont have
> it. Only sanyasi can study vedanta.
>
>>  I do agree that ONLY sarva karma saNyAsi can approach vedAntic jnAna
> mArga meaningfully..but it does not negate the possibility of
> mOksha/vedAnta jnAna to non-dvija-s.

See above argument I have made.  Same applies here. Answer this
question. Can Gruhastha be karma sanyasi? If yes he is not following
his dharma.  He is sinner.  In Gita Krishna  also says the same.

> Vedanta is serious study. no purana type stories or anything. But
> puranas have lot of  entertainment.
>
>>  there are plenty of stories in upanishads also..how do you say these
> stories are there for serious study and in purANa-s these stories are for
> mere entertainment??

No no masala packed  stories in Upanishads like Puranas. Please check.

> He must take birth in brahmin family otherwise how will become sanyasi
>  and study vedanta.
>
>>  you have not given the exact verse reference yet!!  shicheenAm
> shreematAM gehe..yOgabrashtObhijAyate athavA yOginAmeva kule bhavati
> dheemataM...says krishna..pls. note there is no explicit mention of
> 'brAhmaNa' janma here...

Suchi is pure. Only brahmins are pure. He will be born in brahmin family.