[Advaita-l] Temple Worship by Gurukkals/Sivacharyas

Venkata Subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 23:01:11 CST 2010

--- On Sun, 31/1/10, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Temple Worship by Gurukkals/Sivacharyas
To: "Advaita List" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Date: Sunday, 31 January, 2010, 7:58 PM

> ... why are those Brahmins who worship in Temples given a "lower" status?
> Is it the case all over India, or is it only in Tamilnadu?

There is no clear answer to the why, but such grouping in the social hierarchy

If I remember right, there is a prohibition by manu, against inviting a temple priest
for partaking of the food at annual SrAddha observances for the ancestors.
====

The Samskrita kosa (for example Amara kosa) does not put a devala in Brahma varga.......atleast during some time in the past this understanding should have come into vogue....