[Advaita-l] Sivaanandalahari - 80

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 15:16:17 CST 2010

Sivaanandalahari - 80

एष्यत्येषजनिं मनोऽस्य कठिनं तस्मिन्‍नटानीति
मद्रक्षायै गिरिसीम्नि कोमलपद-न्यास:-पुराभ्यासित: ।
नोचे-द्दिव्य-गृहान्तरेषु सुमन-स्तल्पेषु वेद्यादिषु
प्रायस्सत्सु शिलातलेषु नटनं शंभो किमर्थं तव ॥ ८० ॥

eShyatyeShajaniM mano&sya kaThinaM tasmin^naTAnIti
madrakShAyai girisImni komalapada-nyAsa:-purAbhyAsita: |
noche-ddivya-gRuhAntareShu sumana-stalpeShu vedyAdiShu
prAyassatsu SilAtaleShu naTanaM SaMbho kimarthaM tava || 80 ||

You practised dancing in the mountainous region with your soft feet knowing
that I am going to take birth and you have to dance in my hard mind in order
to protect me. Else when you had the facility to dance in divine homes or in
flower beds why did you not dance there but in rocky surfaces?

*Commentary

**he sambO* = Hey! SambhO!
*Esha:* this;
*janim *= janma;
*Eshyathi *= is going to get;
*asya* = his;
*mana:* = the mind;
*katim* = hard;
*thasmin *= in that hard mind;
*nataanee* = going to dance;
*ithi* = as;
*madhrakshaayai* = with a view to protecting;
*kOmalapadhanyaasa:* = the stepping of the softest feet;
*giriseemnim *= in the midst of the mountain;
*puraa *= earlier;
*abhyaasitha: *= have been trained;
*nO cheth(u)* = as otherwise;
*dhivyagrihaantharEshu* = in the midst of divine homes;
*sumanasthalpEshu* = in the flower soft beds;
*vEdhyaadhishu* = thiNNai etc;
*praaya:* = mostly;
*sathsu* = having them;
*silaathalEshu* = in rocky places;
*natanam* = dance;
*thava* = to you;
*kimartham* = what could be the reason?

Hey! ParamEswara! How can I describe your kaaruNyam?  You have known that I
am going to be born in this world and that my mind is going to be a very
hard place (நெஞ்சக்கனகல்). And you also know that you would be dancing on my
mind which is harder than the rock.  Knowing that your soft feet would be
hurt when you dance on my mind you decided to train them to bear it by
dancing on the pebble laden rocky mountain even though you have access to
palatial buildings and softest beds.  You did this in order to ensure that
my janma gets its sapalam even though there is nothing for you to gain in
this.  Yes, I cannot describe your kaaruNyam at all!

Aum Namasivaaya!