[Advaita-l] On the history of Bharathavarsha

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 05:51:58 CST 2010

Dear Vidyasankar,

I think we have come to the end of the discussion on this atleast beween you
and me.  This one point on my own personal stand that you commented needs a
bit of clarification.

You have said:* "You say that you are nobody to those writers who have been
busy insulting the Sringeri
tradition for a few decades now. That is very convenient, isn't it? It is
the silence of all those who think they are "nobody" that allows
controversies like this to thrive. I refuse to be a "nobody" and I refuse to
be silent for the sake of appearances. I may be pardoned for having
preferred "satyam vada" completely, at the expense of "na brUyAt satyam
apriyam"."*

Why is it so important that I align with you and echo your sentiments?  I
have said that I am nobody. Are you saying that I am somebody and that I am
donning the garb of nobody for convenience sake?  You give yourself the
democratic right to express yourself but when it comes to others then
persons such as I allow controversies to thrive, is it?  If you and I refuse
to be 'silent'  would others be  so too?  Does it mean that the silence of
you and me is dependent on others' silence?
*
Sir, the only ingredient that the objects have on us is its temptation.  If
we deny their temptation they die!* They don't exist as far as we are
concerned.  This is the precise lesson of Vedanta.

My stand from the beginning has been not to take one side or the other in
this matter but to express my concern on the fall out from such discussion
on Sringeri or Kanchi or Dwarka Math either individually or collectively.
You are taking a stand of 'sathyam vadha' but at the same time you do say
that that which you expressed long ago cannot be brought into discussion.
If you think what you had expressed earlier is not your stand anymore just
say so (that it is no more sathyam) and until you do that you will be
commented on that statement.

However, it does bring to light that in  vyavahaarika dhasa nothing is
permanent and that includes the 'vaadham' that is held as sathyam.  I have
in this list posted my view that the falsity, poi, mithya of this prakrthi
is held aloft in the triad of time, space and causality and they change
swifter than we think (for thought is held to be the swiftest than the speed
of light and yet it cannot overcome this triad).  So one's 'sathyam' and the
pride of happiness from it lasts only as long as the view or perception of
what is held as truth lasts.  It always ends in misery and guilt.  Such is
the essence of samsaara.  That is why we want to escape from it.  This list
serves as a good vehicle for discussion of that nature.

So much so your 'sathyam' on these dates are quite impermanent in its very
nature which unfortunately you wish to ignore.  *It does not mean that I am
holding another 'sathyam' in vyavahaarika dasa as permanent.*  Far from it!

At least the fact is that you and Bhattacharjee stay behind Sringeri and
Dwaraka the existence of which you both do not question.  So it all boils
down to Kanchi Math with its antogonists and protogonists on its origin.  I
pointed out how taking a stand on it will, willy nilly, help the adharmists
to use the very followers of Sankara to be used against each other.

Sir, why four or five Matams only?  Why hesitate to accept Kanchi Mutt as a
great Mutt ignoring the senseless protogonists.  Why is it important to give
credence to those who are partial?  Don't you have the conviction that they
will fall away by the wayside in the march of history?

Sir, Let there be hundreds of Sankara Mutts and of course they will all have
roots in Adhi Sankara.  In fact they are many cropping up time and again.  I
am talking of the genuine ones.  A very learned member of this forum belong
to such a follower of Sankara who is not associated with any of the four or
five Mutts.  The grand father of another member Swamy Vidyanandha Giri was a
disciple of Swamy Gnananandha Giri who had established his own Mutt though
he had claimed roots in Joshi Mutt.  Who cares if Sankara lived yesterday or
thousands of years ago. What earthly use does it serve to fix him to a
date?  Is not his message important?  Sir, his message is the 'Sathyam' that
is beyond the vyavahaara.  Hold on to that!  There won't then be any
heartburn and misery!