[Advaita-l] Why holy mantras are chanted 108 times

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 06:10:57 CST 2010

Perhaps I should add an example to my question :

If the Sun is distant from us 108 times its diameter (who measured it ?) :
then is this just a simple fact, like 'this flower has seven petals'; or is
it a clue to Creation, the Bramanda itself ? Unless we are clear about the
significance of numbers in the divine science, it seems to me that we could
demote number into some sort of superstitious 'magic'..

If the diameter of the Sun is thus related to distance, this would be an
implication for the study of gravitational pull..

The examples of 108 given recently sem to me to vary in their significance
and implications... 108 Upanishads.. ?

Michael