[Advaita-l] On the date of Adi Shankara

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Jan 11 04:48:49 CST 2010

The Veda says Tadvishnu paramam padam. Kena tells us what that param pada
is. We need not always take the negative view. Mundaka tells us how He
spun the world.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Since the brahman is devoid of all specific featuress it is very difficult
to describe the nature of brahman positively.  The attainability of
'vishNu paramaM padaM' also to be understood accordingly.  Since our Atman
is ever attained coz. of its all-pervading nature and its being the very
self of every one, attaining the paramaM padaM imputed in shruti like
tadvishNo paramam padaM, brahma vidApnOti paraM etc. to be taken in a
sense that it is only to negate that it is attainable by some means other
than jnAna.  It is also implies that brahman should not be regarded as
something to be reached after travelling towards it etc. like in the case
of apara brahman (or hiraNyagarbha) whose 'attainability' is possible &
shruti also advocates it by says 'ApnOti svArAjyaM' etc. Kena tells us
that : brahman is certainly other than the known and is higher than the
unknown.  Hence shankara following shruti clearly says : it is only proper
to say that it can be expressed by no word whatsoever.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!
bhaskar