[Advaita-l] On the date of Adi Shankara

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in
Mon Jan 4 03:06:34 CST 2010

On Jan 1,Michel Shepherd wrote:
I f I were a dramatist with time on my hands and the urge to do so,I would
go through all Adi Shankara's commentaries,knowing that every time
"objector"raises his (or her) voice it would be that Shankara had faced
that question from the greatest minds of other sects in lively open public
debate....and included that Q&A in his oral record to prepare his
disciples for the great debate themselves.
I think that by the time I had set that dramatically,I would have a lively
drama of ideas on my hands which required no more attention to the date of
his opportune embodiment to set matters straight for us than the decision
which period should the costumes represent?"

What does Michel think?Is Shankara a dramatist like William Shakespeare to
pen down his dramas?Then,why should michel worry about whether Atman is a
Shakshi or not?Let him leave his Atman alone.

                                                          N.Srikanta.