[Advaita-l] On the date of Adi Shankara

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 09:42:15 CST 2010

Argument about Adi Shankara's possible birth date obscures -- I hope you'll
agree -- more useful questions. The first is obviously 'How does the date of
Shankara's ministry matter to the understanding of Advaita Vedanta ?' If
this were pursued, it might lead to further questions about Gaudapada and
the relationship of Buddhism to Indian culture between those two favoured
dates of 500 BC and 788 AD. Or it might not.

And then, there is the interesting suggestion that Advaita Vedanta had a
much more ancient history than we tend to associate with it, That might lead
to a reconsideration of the development of Samkya, for iinstance.

I know that such questions may not seem important to many. But in my
experience, all research yields unexpected fruits, some of greater dimension
than anticipated (to stretch a metaphor).

Michael