[Advaita-l] Mahābhārata - Ādi Parva

yajvan yajvan at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 10 11:02:21 CST 2010

hariḥ oṁ हरि ॐ
~~~~~~~~~~
namasté and hello

I am reviewing the Mahābhārata,  ādi parva (or 1st section) and working on the following passage
for study/comprehension and practice:

tapo na kalko'dhyāyanṁ na kalaḥ
svābhāviko vedavidhir na kalaḥ

prasahya vittāharaṇaṁ na kala-
stānyeva bhāvopadhatāni kalaḥ

May I  ask for assistance? I am fine with all words here except the 4th line word,  stānyeva.
I have taken the word apart and looked at some of its  components i.e. stan is rooted in tan, etc.
yet the overall word/meaning alludes me. Can someone assist me with this?

Here is where I  am at with my translation ( if there is interest);
and below it is Kisari Mohan Ganguli-ji's translation.

Here is  my translation; any errors can only be attributed to me.

tapas (spiritual practices, observances, purifying methods) is not sinful , without harm (kalaḥ)
dhyāya (meditation, reflection, looking within, some also call this study) is also without (na¹) harm or sin (kalaḥ)
the prescribed ordinances (vidhi) of the veda's given to one's own tribe or people (svā-bhā) is not harmful (na kalaḥ)

the attainment (haraṇa) of wealth, possessions,property  (vittā) by one's own strength/means (prasahya ) is not sinful (na kalaḥ)

stānyeva bhāvopadhatāni <-- I am still working on these words - 'bhāvopadhatāni'  is fine and not difficult as yet for translation

Translation by Kisari Mohan Ganguli
tapa is innocent, study is harmless,
the ordinance of the veda-s prescribed for all the tribes are harmless,
the acquisition of wealth by exertion is harmless,
But when they are abused in their practices it is then that they become sources of evil.

dhanyavāda & praṇām

yajvan