[Advaita-l] A question on Mayavada

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Dec 30 21:02:36 CST 2010

Sorry but what with the end of the year holidays I have fallen far behind
in responding to emails and am just starting to catch up.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, srirudra at vsnl.com wrote:

> Dear Members
> While reading the difference between what is knowledge and what is wisdom
> Jaldharji has given the  example of the sunset as seen by a layman and an
> astronomer and said the perspective of each of them makes the difference.I
> will add that knowledge is shareable but jnanam is not.It is a subjective
> factor.

I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with your meaning but
disagreeing with your words :-)

If jnana were not shareable, Vedanta would have become extinct in one
generation as the Rshis would not have had any shishyas.  But it is true
that it cannot be spoken of in terms of conventional language (Which I
suppose what you were referring to.)  So how is jnana to be known?  By
negation of all that is ajnana.  Far from being subjective, jnana is the
only truly objective knowledge.  But because of the nature of our
conventional language, it is not treated as such by those caught up
in ajnana.