[Advaita-l] gosamrakshanam

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 14:01:18 CST 2010

> "ahimsa milk" is a myth in this day and age. A Cow is impregnated solely
for
> producing milk for human consumption and is fed all kinds of stuff to make
> milk production higher and higer like a machine. It happens in India as
well
> as the rest of the world.
*I agree. Going vegan is the only option if we dont get milk from
goshalas. I am keen to have goashalas to produce ahimsa milk because gopuja
is integral to Vedic culture. If we cannot, going vegan is the most noble
act.*

In this connection, see the following article by Sri Satish Karandikar,
a resident of New Jersey, USA.

http://www.svbf.org/journal/vol11/GoVegan.pdf
*very nice article. *
http://www.svbf.org/svbf_journal.php
*I will check this out. Please send me any scriptural refereces on cow
protection and worship. I have to compile a draft by  4-Jan. We plan to
reach out to favourable organizations in the UK to convince them to use only
ahimsa milk. My friend is negotiating with a mechanized farm to make it
ahimsa farm. We need to cover the cost overhead.*
In a general sense, however, I would caution against blanket condemnation
of all such ventures as described above. The domestication of the cow was
historically meant only to serve human purposes, but in the contemporary,
highly industrialized society that we live in, we have moved away from
all standards of humane treatment of cattle. If you live in a city and are
buying milk from a supermarket, yes, you are contributing to the cycle of
himsA. But there are quite a few projects around the world, which have
been designed to be sanctuaries for cows and other domesticated animals.
You could always make a conscious decision only to use milk obtained with
the least amount of himsA.
*Yes. We need to help these projects in a concerted and people behind that.
My family sastrigal protects 50 cows! It is not easy.*

Regards,
Vidyasankar