[Advaita-l] Advaitic Foods

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 04:01:57 CST 2010

Here is one shloka which is especially directed to spiritual aspirants and
is often recited and taught by the Advaita Acharyas.  I do not know the
source of this verse:

दिने दिने  च वेदान्तश्रवणात् भक्तिसंयुतात् ।
गरुशुश्रूषया लब्धात् कृच्छ्राशीतिफलं लभेत् ॥

diney  diney cha vedAntashravaNAt bhakti-samyutAt
gurushushrUshayaa labdhaat kRcchraasheeti phalam labhet

By engaging every day in Vedanta shravaNa sincerely coupled with the service
to the Guru, one will get the (chitta-cleansing) fruit of performing eighty
kRcchra rituals/observations.

Performing of just once the Kricchra praayashcitta is considered extremely
tiresome, painful.  So, the above verse assures vedanta sadhakas that the
pratibandhaka, obstacle, born of pUrva paapa karma that obstructs the dawn
of knowledge or even progress in sadhana, is removed by sincerely engaging
in vedanta vicharaatmaka sadhana with the grace of the Guru.

By quoting the above I am not suggesting that no prAyashchittam is
required.  I want to know what 'kRcchra' is.  Since Jaldhar ji has mentioned
'chAndrAyana', and since it is said that kRcchra and chAndrAyana are two
most severe prAyaschitta karma-s, I thought I will pose this question.

Best regards,

v.subrahmanian