[Advaita-l] Question on Mayavada

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 11:31:29 CST 2010

Pranams,

By the grace of Lord Buddha and Lord Krishna , who are both one and the same, I guess I understand what both of them said. In case you would like to talk to Dr. Rao and find out something new other than what I have said you are most welcome to do so and kindly let us know. You may even invite Dr. Rao to join this forum unless he finds the levels of our discussions low and below his expectations. BTW is there any
 publication of Dr. Rao on Buddhism?

After extensive research Madam Blavatsky came to the conclusion that Lord Buddha was under an oath not to impart the teachings of the Veda and and Vedanta. Yet he being most compassionate wanted to spill out his knowledge indirectly in a somewhat unorthodox way without telling about Brahman, inspite of some of his disciples pressing him to open his mouth on that. Lord Buddha's teachings are the logical extensions of Sankhya and Yoga and wasfrom the realm of Vedanta but he had to stop sort of letting out everything. In fact it is known that Lord Buddha was reluctant to speak from the time of his awakening as it is difficult to teach Dharma to ones filled with lust and hate. Control over desire has to be achieved for the progress in the path of Dharma. So he first gave the basic teachings in Sarnath and twenty two years later he gave the Mahayana teachings. He gave further teachings at a later date. Let us not talk about these here as that would mean
 moving away from the main theme of the group. Lord Krishna did not have any such
 compulsion and he even showed his Vishwaroopa to Arjuna as part of the discourse. Comapassion forces people to do things like Lord Buddha did. We have a similar thing in the life of Ramanujacharya. Ramanujacharya was given a mantra by his guru and was asked to keep it to himself, but he let the world know the mantra from his rooftop so that everybody gets the benefit of the mantra. It is, of course, another matter that the Guru's giving a particular mantra to a particular disciple has many connotations.

Warm regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya