[Advaita-l] Does Brahman Know?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Dec 7 00:07:07 CST 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Ananth Padmanabhan wrote:

> vAgarTHAviva samprkthau vAgarTHaprathipaththayE / jagathaha pitharau
> vandhE pArvathIparamEshvarau -
>
> वागर्थाविव सम्पृक्तौ वागर्थप्रतिपत्तयॆ /  जगत: पितरौ वन्दे पार्वतीपरमॆश्वरौ]
>
> As many know, This is the first verse of Kalidasa's epic poem,
> Raghuvamsham.
>
> When Kalidasa attained Jnanam from Devi, one of the 3 words Devi
> mentioned is vAk that he used to start his Raguvamsam (with the other
> two, he started Megadhootham and KumArasambhavam). The substantive
> realities of everything, apart from being known individually as vAk and
> artha, also are inclusive in the Absolute Brahman, which is intrinsic of
> everything. I may be 'Iddlisubban' to some, Padmanabhan to some others,
> husband to my wife, son to my mom, father to my children etc depending
> on the beholder but to an end-state-mumukshu or beholder, this is 'THAT
> BRAHMAN'. When bahirmuham disappears and only antharmuham is seen, when
> the light that lits the room alone is seen and not the objects it lights
> or the senses that see, this is when iddli,flour,the ingredients that
> became flour all get negated (nethi) one by one until the Ultimate
> Brahman is realised. This process of elimination and deduction goes on
> until it stops at the final destination; mumukshus' sadhana has to go
> thru the stages of being iddlisubban, subban, none and Brahman; some may
> skip some stages depending on merit, abhyasam and GRACE. Some may keep
> failing in '101-Sadhana for Mumukshus' and some may need 'Moksha Sadhana
> for Dummies'. Some smart-cookies may jump from being Iddlisubban
> straight to being a 'realized nameless! Brahma Subban'.
>
> There is nothing sacred or not-sacred in the realm of the Underlying
> reality. Sri Rudram glorifies Brahman in everything and engages us to
> see that 'Brahman' in all.

Well put!  I  would like to add that this is why the moksha-shastra is
called advaita (non-dual) and not aikya or some some word meaning one.
The conventional subject-object relationships (vyavahara) are the natural
state of being for the jiva.  It is the understanding of the
false nature of all those relationships which is called jnana.